Sunday, June 15, 2008

NJR’S NY V. LA SHOWDOWN!!!!

I’m in NYC for the week with a list of places to eat as long as Rapunzel’s bangs. I was thinking last night while walking in the hot rain (LA 1, NY 0), past the beautiful brownstones of the lower west side (NY ties it up!) how so far everything I’d eaten in New York (and everything on my list) had an obvious counterpart in LA. I didn’t feel this way a few years ago, so either LA’s food scene has expanded to incorporate more comparable options, or I’ve expanded (which you have, in the belly! NY Zinger!). Then I thought, why not make this a competition? That way, at the end of the day someone can feel bad.

But seriously, it’s interesting to compare some of these dishes. And as I go through my week here, I’m gonna try to keep posting some of my thoughts. Please excuse the sloppy grammar—Imapostin on the road!:

JUICY PORK DUMPLINGS STREET FIGHT WITH HAMMERS!
Din Tai Fung v. Joe’s Shanghai

I love me some soup dumplings aka juicy dumpling aka xiao long bao. When living in New York, I used to frequent New Green Bo on a very regular basis, and also had some killer dumplings at Shanghai Café. When I returned to LA a few years ago, I thought I would never again experience these little wonders. But then I discovered the San Gabriel Valley, and that on the West Coast they’re not called soup dumplings and wallah! Din Tai Fung. A friend from Shanghai swears by the Joe’s Shanghai variety in NYC overall others—I think I smell a death match.

DIN TAI FUNG
About the size of an apricot
Light, delicate skin
Flavorful broth- salty with some sweetness and a light pork taste- but not much broth.
Small flavorful piece of pork up in there
One dumpling=one bite

JOE’S SHANGHAI
About the size of a plum
Thick skin
Intense rich thick flavorful broth and almost 2 spoons fulls!
Big chunk of meaty pork inside
One dumpling=3 bites!

This is like pitting Hulk Hogan against Natalie Portman in a death match. It’s all about personal preference. That said, Joe’s Shanghai didn’t even hold a candle for me. I can see why my Shanghai friend loves them—they are rich and intense and would be delicious on a cold night. They’re like a great huge hamburger, but I guess I’ve lived in LA too long and I’d usually prefer some good sushi. I thought Joe’s Shanghai lacked the subtlety and specificity of the Din Tai Fung variety.

ADVANTAGE: Din Tai Fung (Booyah NYC! Who needs a tummy tuck now?!)


SHEA METS STADIUM CLUB V. DODGERS STADIUM CLUB CAGE THROWDOWN
Shea Stadium Players Club v. Dodgers Dugout Club
2nd billing: Shea Stadium v. Dodgers Stadium

Shea had to cancel both fights due to anemia and gonorrhea. Shea said call back next year and then we’ll see whose big papi then.

CUPCAKE SCISSORFEST ’09!
Magnolia Bakery v. Auntie Em's

I’ve really grown to dislike cupcakes, but there was a time living in NYC when nothing made me happier than a late night trip to Magnolia. It would a stop for my nostalgia more than for my stomach. Also, the kick ass looking dessert truck (check it: www.desserttruck.com) wasn’t there because of the rain.

MAGNOLIA BAKERY
I stick to the classic vanilla cake with buttercream frosting.
A great flavor to the cake. Not too sweet. A small cupcake.
What happened to all the frosting? There’s less on there now, right? And damn it’s sweet! I used to take down 2 of these puppies and now I have to scrape off half the frosting on one of them.

AUNTIE EM’S
If you live in LA and haven't been to this bakery/breakfast spot in Eagle Rock you should go for brunch today. If you get there early, you might even be able to have the biscuits and gravy.
Red Velvet Cupakes
F’ing delicious!
Great Creamcheese frosting
A sweet light cake with that mystery flavor that turns out to be chocolate but I always thought was the “red” part.

ADVANTAGE: Auntie Em’s. I realize most NYCers wouldn’t pick Magnolia to rep them in a cupcake war. I probably should have pitted it against Sprinkles in LA, but that would be like watching two squids fight to the death in a pool of jello. Actually, that sounds kind of cool, but hopefully you get my point: who cares who’s a little less mediocre. And who really cares about cupcakes anymore-- Froyo Bareknuckle Brawl!

DAY ONE:
LA SWEEP! And yes, I realize that this isn’t a fair fight so far, but don’t worry NYCers: pizza, bagels, Italian food to come. And really, there’s no winners and losers here except my stomach, which was already forced to endure gross hot wings at Shea, soup dumplings, and a cupcake on the same night. And in case it seems like I'm unfairly biased to LA let me just say: Man New York is great. I'm feeling a real warmth from a lot of the people this time here, and not just because everyone is sweating. Everyone not in a car has been totally wonderful to me (maybe that's the trick...) and it's such a beautiful city to walk around in. Also, you should see what Hip Hop at 4 in the morning is doing to my dreams.

2 comments:

bza said...

The soup dumplings with pork at Din Tai are definitely better, but the seafood ones at Joe's are really awesome, as the broth is super flavorful.

I hope you are going to Grimaldi's and/or Di Fara for pizza. The latter is certainly the best pizza I have had in the New York area.

njr said...

Di Fara today or tomorrow. Can't wait... Also, WD 50 was totally awesome. Good call.