Wednesday, May 14, 2008

It's better cold

There is a section in everyone's brain that is devoted to lists. Although its exact location cannot be known, I imagine it's somewhere in the frontal lobe near the joyful memories section. Every list you've ever formulated in your head--to do lists, top five countries to visit, names of lovers--they're all there just waiting to be called upon. One of my favorite lists, and one that I call upon almost every week, is the "foods that are better the second time around" list. I'm fond of this list because it has something for everyone, from the obvious (pizza, chow mein, thanksgiving dinner) to the less obvious (pork chops, certain pastas) to the wildly controversial (seafood, biscuits and gravy, most mexican fare.) Today I want to talk about a recent addition to my list that I'm very excited about-- so excited, in fact, that I may have to move it to the coveted number one spot: fried chicken.

I wish I could tell you exactly what happens to fried chicken, on a molecular level, after it sits in the refrigerator for a day. Here's my best guess:



Beyond that diagram I have no idea. I only know the results of the process, which are a) more manageable skin, b) more intense flavors, especially around the end pieces, and c) easier temperature to deal with. I always feel hesitant to fully invest myself in a piece of hot fried chicken; maybe it's the temperature, maybe it's the grease. But when it's cold I really feel free to roll up my sleeves and do some good work, even in the hard to reach areas.

It's gotten to the point where I actually go out of my way to eat it cold. The last time I was up at my parents we picked up some fried chicken from their favorite place and brought it home with us. I immediately threw mine in the freezer while they ate theirs hot at the table. An hour later I was sitting by myself eating cold fried chicken while everyone else watched a movie.

It was worth it.

Incidentally, the place we ordered from has great fried chicken:

Clementines
4631 Carpinteria Ave
Carpinteria, CA 93013
(805)684-5119

No comments: